A conglomeration of
ever-increasingly
mindless ramblings

Waxing Platitudinous

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Click to go back to my most recent post!
Waxing Platitudinous!! What does it mean? My brother once had a blog that was called Rumenation Junket, so it runs in the family. However, Rumination Junket means something completely different from Waxing Platitudinous.

wax -intransitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English weaxan; akin to Old High German wahsan to increase, Greek auxanein, Latin augēre
1 a: to increase in size, numbers, strength, prosperity, or intensity b: to grow in volume or duration c: to grow toward full development
2: to increase in phase or intensity —used chiefly of the moon, other satellites, and inferior planets
3: to assume a (specified) characteristic, quality, or state: become, wax indignant, wax poetic

platitudinous-adjective
Etymology: platitude + -inous (as in multitudinous)

1. having the characteristics of a platitude: full of platitudes, platitudinous remarks


and just for those of you that don't know what platitudes are (from wikipedia):

platitudes-a trite, meaningless, biased or prosaic statement that is presented as if it were significant and original. The word derives from plat, the French word for "flat". Whether any given statement is considered to have meaning or not is highly subjective, so platitude is often, but not always, used as a pejorative term to describe seemingly profound statements that a certain person views as unoriginal or shallow. The statements most commonly described as "platitudes" are short proverbs and aphorisms which are intended to motivate or encourage another person, but which are in reality overly-simplistic or cliché (clee-shay, say it out loud and you’ll recognize it.)

Why would one want to title a blog with such a title? Basically, I get to vent about everything. I actually got the idea from a letter my father once wrote to me. I was in England and having a rather difficult time and he wrote me a letter full of counsel. His final line was an apology that he was beginning to wax platitudinous. You must know my father. When he wrote in my mother’s high school yearbook, the opening line was, “Pulchritudinous Salutations!” I had no chance in life, I was doomed to be a nerd even before my parent were married. But I’m okay with that.

So to start out on this journey of mindless rants, ravings, soliloquies and other rather remarkable prose.

Pulchritudinous Salutations to those that will entertain my waxing platitudes!!!


P.S. - Rumenation Junket – means eating food

Click to go back to my most recent post!

1 comment: